“Communities are vibrant entities,” says author Jono Bacon. “While there is plenty of work we can do in building effective communities, what makes people stay for the long haul is when they feel like they belong.”
Discover how your community can become a reliable support network, a valuable source of new ideas, and a powerful marketing force with The Art of Community, Second Edition.
“This second edition provides comprehensive coverage of building communities and community projects from strategic planning right up to delivery,” says Bacon. “Importantly, and particularly within the scenario of professional community managers working in organizations, the book also covers accountability, measuring success, and identifying bottlenecks and issues so they can be resolved.”
Interviews with 12 community management leaders, including Linus Torvalds, Tim O’Reilly, and Mike Shinoda, provide useful insights, and help you
• Develop specific objectives and goals for building your community
• Build processes to help contributors perform tasks, work together, and share successes
• Provide tools and infrastructure that enable members to work quickly
• Create buzz around your community to get more people involved
• Harness social media to broadcast information, collaborate, and get feedback
• Use several techniques to track progress on community goals
• Identify and manage conflict, such as dealing with divisive personalities
“I can’t think of a better guidebook than The Art of Community and your fearless tour guide, Jono Bacon. The second edition shares many other stories of how successful communities have been created and the choices made in doing so.”
—Chris Anderson, Editor of Wired magazine and author of The Long Tail.
For more information about the book, including table of contents, author bios, and cover graphic, see http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920021995.do
For more resources from Jono Bacon, and others, visit ART of COMMUNITY .