According to the United States Census , approximately 10 percent of proposals occur on Valentine’s Day.
After engagement, many couples make the transition to moving in together. As exciting as the process can be, it certainly can also be a trying time. With some proper planning, you can make this move happen as smoothly as possible and still be smiling at the end of it all.
Whether you already live together and are moving to a new space, or you are moving in together for the first time, Unpakt , THE authoritative voice on moving and online tool to manage your move, has compiled a list of tips to help you and your spouse-to-be move with ease.
- 1. Start Early – The sooner you start planning, the better off you will be. Waiting until the last minute will make you both more stressed creating unnecessary tension. Last minute planning can also cause you to forget important items and deadlines.
- 2. Make Lists and Share Responsibility – Not only do you absolutely need to make lists of everything that needs to be done, you should designate one person to handle certain tasks. Perhaps you will call and turn on the utilities and your spouse will arrange the appointment for your cable and internet to be turned on. Delegating responsibility will ensure everything that needs to be done gets done.
- 3. Discuss Money Before Moving – There are many fees and down payments you will need anticipate prior to moving and even after you move. Be honest with each other about what you can and cannot afford. It will save you a lot of added stress once you have to start making payments. Decide who will pay for what before you make your move.
- 4. Consolidate Fairly – Moving in together most likely means you will have less room for your shoes and clothes as sharing closet space is going to be inevitable. As important as your items are to you, your man’s items are just as important to him. Don’t expect him to leave all of his belongings behind. It is all about compromise; this is a huge adjustment, but if you both give equally, you will find your separate lives really do mesh well together.
- 5. Hire the Right Movers – Nothing can make moving day more disastrous than hiring the wrong movers. Make sure you ask what their insurance covers, and take the time to make sure they are licensed and to look up reviews. Better yet, use Unpakt.com to find the best mover. Through their screening process, they have already done the work for you and can provide you with an exact price quote for your move.
If you’re planning a move or know someone who is visit Unpakt for help!