According to the American Academy of Dermatology, skin is the body’s largest and fastest growing organ. For this reason alone, it’s a good idea to give your skin some extra attention, especially during the summer when more of it is often exposed and it is susceptible to the sun’s damaging rays. The good news is that there are a lot of simple things we can do to help keep our skin healthy, glowing and youthful looking all summer long.
“Our skin is often an indicator of what is going on inside and how healthy we are,” explains Katherine Goldman, celebrity esthetician/waxologist and owner of the Stript Wax Bar. “You want your skin to be beautiful, glowing, and give you a healthy look. We help people achieve that on a daily basis.”
It’s a good idea to see an esthetician regularly so that the skin can be cared for in terms of preventing dryness, dehydration, acne, and hyperpigmentation. Here are 5 tips for having glowing summer skin:
- Getting waxed is an important part of summer, but it’s a job you can’t trust to just anyone. Bad wax jobs can leave skin irritated, red, sore and in some extreme cases scared. It’s important to have it professionally waxed at a place that specializes in waxing, so that the pain is minimal and when they are done the area is baby skin smooth. This goes for all types of summer waxing, including facial, legs, bikini area, and beyond.
- Having a tan is synonymous with summer, but according to the Skin Cancer Foundation, 40 to 50 percent of all adults who reach the age of 65 will have had some type of skin cancer. It’s crucial to protect skin from the sun’s rays. You can still have a summer tan, but it’s better to get it the healthy way, such as a spray-on tan option. When outside, use sunscreen and wear a hat to shade your face from the sun even when it’s cloudy.
- Adequate hydration is necessary for healthy skin, according to the University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinical Authority. They report that not getting enough water can make skin dry, tight, and flaky. Aim for 8 glasses of water per day, which will keep it hydrated and help remove toxins from the body.
- What we eat has a role to play in how healthy our skin is. According to a research study in the journal Dermato Endocrinology, fruit and vegetable consumption may represent the most healthy and safe method in order to maintain balanced and youthful appearing skin. Get plenty of antioxidant-loaded fruits and veggies into your diet.
- This is a good way to keep up on taking care of your skin, as it removes the old dead skin cells and can keep your skin glowing. You can do this at home, or you can have it done by getting facials, chemical peels, or microdermabrasion.
“Everyone wants to love the skin they are in and show it off with pride,” added Goldman. “Many people do a lot of damaging things to their skin without even realizing it. The more we know, the better choices we can make, and the better our skin will look and feel!”
Stript Wax Bar has locations throughout California, including in Los Angeles, Palo Alto, Lafayette, Oakland, Pacifica, and San Jose. They specialize in offering top-of-the line waxing services for men and women, using the highest quality custom blended hard wax. In addition to waxing all areas of the body, they offer facials, spray tans, brow shaping, and make-up application. For more information, visit the website at: www.striptwaxbar.com .