By TaMara Campbell
In these crazy economic times many people are finding it hard to cope with the downsizing of many companies, home foreclosures, and rising unemployment rates. These unpleasant factors are leaving many workers in a state of perpetual uncertainty about the stability of their future.
Faced with countless challenges, these hectic times can certainly serve as a breeding ground for negative stress to take over your life, ultimately resulting in a physical or mental illness. Because negative stress may be at an all time high now it’s important to maintain stress levels by remaining positive. It’s time to tap into your inner strength to use this time as a period of growth, development and self renewal.
Turning negative stress into positive energy is the key! Taking the positivistic approach to making it through these Stress-onomics times empowers you to become more proactive in facilitating positive process and movement through these times; thus minimizing stress while maintaining balance in the Dimensions of Wellness.
The positivistic approach to Stress-onomics provides nine simple ways to make life work for you during these times, because after all simplicity is a fine line between complexity and ease.
1. Learn a new skill. Use this time to go back to school earn a new degree or learn a vocation. Acquiring a new skill set will make you more marketable for the workplace.
2. Start a business. Become your own boss! Utilize your gifts and talents to create the business of your dreams. Visit your local Small Business Administration to receive counseling, assistance, tips and tools for starting your new business. Many of the services are provided at little to no cost. http://www.sba.gov/
3. Utilize relaxation techniques. Relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, visualization, journaling, meditation, and yoga can help you activate the body’s natural stress relieving response.
4. Join a support group. Joining a support group for displaced workers may help to relieve pressure during these times and provide support so you don’t have to go through it alone.
5. Auction off your skills. Become a consultant in your area of expertise. Submit proposals to local businesses to facilitate workshops or provide technical assistance.
6. Spend more time with family and friends. Between hectic works hours and crazy commutes, often times the average working adult does not have much time to spend with family and friends. This period of “downtime” can be used to rekindle relationships. Use this opportunity to become more involved in lives of those you love.
7. Take a class. Enroll in a class you’ve always wanted to take. Community recreation centers and community colleges often offer workshops and classes at little to no cost to the community. This will help to reduce stress while learning something new and exciting.
8. Volunteer your time. Volunteering your time with an organization or charity that is close to your heart will help to relieve your mind. Additionally, it will warm your heart to do something for those less fortunate than you.
9. Become savvy with your spending. Find creative ways to reduce spending. Look for deals when shopping. Using coupons and discounts will also help to cut back on spending. Also search for deals online. Check out The Secondhand Socialite for secondhand merchandise, as well as advice and ideas on thrifty living!
By incorporating one or all of these nine simple strategies into your daily routine, you’ll be amazingly surprised at how much more manageable and purposeful your life can become during these Stress-onomic times! “Relax, Relate, Release”…Breathe and take control of your life again!!
© 2009 TaMara Campbell for Beautifully Me, llc. All Rights Reserved ~ Tamara R. Campbell, the femme phenom behind Beautifully ME, llc provides wellness education for organizations in the public and private sectors. She specializes in action-packed, informative stress and life management workshops. TaMara also specializes in women wellness and empowerment.