In Southern California and looking for a haunting good time this Halloween season? Then head over to the city of Long Beach, which is once again playing host to the majestic Queen Mary ship’s spooky spirits of Dark Harbor: Captain, Graceful Gale, Half Hatch Henry, Ringmaster, Scary Mary, Samuel the Savage, Voodoo Priestess and, as a new evil eighth addition this year, The Iron Master.
All have descended upon The Queen Mary to dish out blood-curdling nights of terror to those who dare climb aboard what’s regarded as “one of the most authentically frightening haunted attractions”–one of the top 10 most haunted places on earth according to TIME magazine.
Having braved this ominous experience myself, I can tell you the attractions are rather well executed. The conceptual creativity and design of each haunt duly evokes a spine-chilling response, and the costumes and makeup of the various creeps and creatures scampering about extraordinary (as is their ability to stay completely in character amid the atmosphere of controlled chaos). The dark labyrinths winding throughout the bowels of the storied ship a stellar venue that’s second to none. Do note that parking-related traffic can be heavy so plan accordingly, especially if you have dinner reservations to catch aboard the ship. On that note, I would highly recommend dining at the Chelsea Chowder House & Bar on this bodacious boat. While the atmosphere and décor is a bit stark, the fare itself makes the trip inside the haunted hull decidedly worthwhile.
Here are some specifics for your calendar and inquiring mind:
The Queen Mary, 1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802
– All aboard INTREPID Maze for a disturbing journey into the legend of The Iron Master
– Hold on to your seat in PANIC, a one-of- a-kind 4-D Virtual Maze Experience
– Battle against evil in HEX Paintball Shooting Gallery
– VOODOO HOUSE features Happy Hour from 6 – 7 p.m. with potions and Tequila vs. Mezcal tasting flights
ENHANCED RETURNING MAZES:
– CIRCUS: Become a reluctant puppet under the Big Top as the Ringmaster pulls your strings
– DEADRISE: Half Hatch Henry, Captain and the dark vessel’s crew have risen from the deep to terrorize
– SOULMATE: Escape the gloves of Graceful Gale as she feverishly searches for her eternal mate
– B340: Descend into the insidious mind of Samuel the Savage to face his worst nightmares
– LULLABY: Scary Mary’s watery grave will leave you gasping for your last breath
– SIDESHOW: Step ‘backstage”, rub elbows with resident freaks, take in a show or a drink at the secret bar
– CREEPY CABANAS: Host a private soiree, order a freak show, enjoy instant access to Sideshow & Swings
– R.I.P. LOUNGE: Hover above Dark Harbor at the exclusive ghost-eye- view VIP bar with all-you- can-eat tacos
– SINISTER SWINGS: Take a spin on the infamous Neverland Ranch Ride
– MAINSTAGE: DJ spins between a variety of nightly shows plus special guest: Jewels Oct. 2 & 31 at 9 p.m.
General admission tickets start at $20 online. Fast Fright, VIP and lodging packages are available. Purchase tickets online at: http://queenmary.com
ABOUT THE VENUE:
Located in the Port of Long Beach, the Queen Mary features a rich maritime history, authentic Art Deco décor, and stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and Long Beach city skyline. At the time of her maiden voyage in May of 1936, she was considered the grandest ocean liner ever built. The Queen Mary’s signature restaurants include the award-winning Sir Winston’s and Chelsea Chowder House & Bar as well as a weekly Champagne Sunday Brunch served in the ship’s Grand Salon. History buffs enjoy the ship’s museum and Glory Days tour, guests of all ages love the Ghosts and Legends show, and the ship is currently featuring the renowned Diana: Legacy of a Princess exhibit and Tea Room. The Queen Mary features 80,000 square feet of event space in 17 remarkable Art Deco salons as well as a tri-level, 45,000-square- foot Exhibit Hall. The Queen Mary boasts 346 staterooms including nine full suites.
Don’t miss out on this wonderfully eerie attraction. Through October 31st, brave souls can embark the creepy Queen Mary to come face to face with a host of haunts, including phantoms, spirits and the “undead” for some good scary fun this Halloween season.
“The Luxe List” Executive Editor Merilee Kern scours the luxury marketplace for exemplary travel experiences, extraordinary events, and notable products and services. Submissions are accepted at www.TheLuxeList.com . Follow her on Twitter here: www.Twitter.com/LuxeListEditor and Facebook here: www.Facebook.com/TheLuxeList .
***Some or all of the accommodations(s), experience(s), item(s) and/or service(s) detailed above were provided at no cost to accommodate this review, but all opinions expressed are entirely those of Merilee Kern and have not been influenced in any way.***