Even though Sally taught Harry a thing or two about the birds and the bees, many Americans don’t need schooling when it comes to female sexual pleasure. According to a new survey conducted by Zestra and YourTango.com, while only 41 percent of Americans are confident in their ability to separate fact from fiction, when asked to answer questions about female pleasure and the health benefits of sex, the majority of men and women responded correctly.
The survey also found that people are even less confident in their compatriots: 79 percent have strong doubts about the average American’s knowledge regarding women’s sexual anatomy and what turns a woman on.
“Knowing your own body and what makes you tick is an important part of sexual satisfaction,” said Rachel Braun Scherl, President, Semprae Laboratories, Inc., makers of Zestra. “We believe that the increased comfort with the conversation about sexual satisfaction is leading to great progress for men and women today.
What respondents got right:
• Length of sex. For the average couple sex lasts 7 – 8 minutes.
• Orgasm. On average, women take about four times as long to reach an orgasm as men and about 30% of women regularly orgasm during sex.
• Health benefits. From a stronger immune system to a better night’s sleep, the female orgasm has proven health benefits.
Where they faltered:
• Simultaneous orgasms. Almost half of survey respondents said 25 percent of couples regularly orgasm together; in reality, only 3 – 5 percent do.
• Use of lubricants. 19 percent of respondents said that young, healthy women don’t need to use lubricants; in reality, 100 percent of women would benefit from using lubricants.
• Heart disease. Having sex may lower the risk of heart disease in men, but the same hasn’t been shown for women.
“We’ve seen a lot of misinformation floating around about female pleasure, orgasm and sex in general, however, Americans are A students, scoring a 91 percent on our quiz,” said Andrea Miller, CEO and founder, YourTango.com. “Contrary to what many people think about our sex saturated culture, we are pleased to see it’s actually sparking an open and honest dialogue, signaling a trend of a more informed society.”
Conducted on YourTango.com, the survey questioned 1,119 Americans. Polling took place from March 24 – April 27, 2011. The margin of error is +/- 2.93 at a 95 percent confidence level.
About Zestra – Zestra® is a safe, patented blend of botanical oils and extracts that creates deep pleasurable sensations. Zestra is hormone-free, paraben-free and topically applied. The botanical ingredients in Zestra include Borage Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Angelica Extract, Coleus Forskholii Extract, Theobromine, and the Anti-Oxidants Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Zestra’s botanical ingredients work together to safely and effectively enhance female sexual pleasure, sensation, sensitivity and satisfaction. Zestra was first introduced in June 2002. The development of Zestra stems from over 5 years of research performed by pharmaceutical researchers and sexual health experts. www.zestra.com
About YourTango: YourTango is the leading lifestyle brand focused on love & relationships. With a mission to help users live their best love lives, YourTango provides award-winning content, community, tools, and connections to relationships experts. YourTango caters to women in all lovestages: single, taken, engaged, married, starting over & complicated. Whether you are in a relationship, looking for love, or mending a broken heart, we invite you to join the conversation wherever you are: YourTango.com, twitter.com/yourtango, youtube.com/yourtango or www.bit.ly/YourTangoFacebook.