According to Woody Allen, “Eighty percent of success is showing up.” I absolutely agree with that statement – and it could be closer to 100% – Why? So often people put their name on a list, join an organization and then never “show up.” If it’s an offline organization, they seldom, if ever attend an event -if it’s online they don’t participate in discussions.
Showing up is the easiest way to stand out in the crowd – especially if your competition decides not to. And thinking about the other 20%, I believe that what happens when you do show up, will determine whether or not you will be successful. When you show up and participate, the universe responds in a way that almost guarantees your success.
Here are my 10 reasons for “showing up” online or off!
1. Showing up gives you the opportunity meet other successful people
2. Showing up gives you the chance to expand your mind and your circle
3. Showing up helps you to find out what the “competition” is up to or not.
4. Showing up helps you to learn about the organization and the community of people involved.
5. Showing up helps you develop personal skills.
6. Showing up helps you develop your own leadership skills.
7. Showing up allows you to share your expertise with others.
8. Showing up helps you stay focused on your road to success.
9. Showing up assures that you’ll be recognized.
10. Showing up also means investing time in developing yourself.
It is important to remember that in order to get ANYTHING out of these groups virtually or in person you have to participate at whatever level is comfortable to you! And when you Show UP, people notice. Sure, you may get asked to do things, to volunteer, to lead a group, and if you do, consider yourself lucky! Otherwise you are just that wall flower at the 8th grade prom no one notices or asks to dance with.
Heidi Richards Mooney is an internet marketing and social media expert who specializes in helping clients get their Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and blog on. Heidi and her team employ a variety of organic search strategies to help her clients get VISIBLE online. Heidi is the President of Redhead Marketing, Inc. and Founder & CEO of Women in Ecommerce™ ~ an organization that empowers women with the tools, resources and skills to create a thriving online business. For more information, visit: Redhead Marketing, Inc