Joplin Tornado Relief eBay Charity Auction to Benefit United Way of Southwest Missouri
With one-of-a-kind items and experiences from Coldplay, The Office, Chelsea Handler, Yoko Ono, Maroon 5, Wilco, Bon Iver, Robyn, Dave Matthews Band, Fox NFL Sunday, Friday Night Lights and more
On May 22, Joplin, Missouri was hit by a tornado that would later come to be known as the deadliest in American history. While images of the devastation are burned into our consciousness, the city has focused their energy on rebuilding their community and their lives.
Today, the public can do their part to support Joplin by visiting the Joplin Tornado Relief eBay Charity Auction at www.ebay.com/givingengine , with proceeds benefiting the United Way of Southwest Missouri and Southeast Kansas.
The first round of the auction, powered by premiere auction management company Giving Engine, is currently up and will take place through Monday, June 20th. Notable items on the digital auction block include:
• An all-expenses-paid trip to Lollapalooza donated by Coldplay and a meet and greet with the band
• Meet and greet with Maroon 5 and four tickets to any show (except NY or LA) on their US tour
• A visit to the set of NBC’s hit show The Office
• 2 VIP tickets to the set of Fox NFL Sunday for an afternoon of football with Terry Bradshaw, Michael Strahan, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long and the gang
• Friday Night Lights package including the Dillon Panthers letter jacket worn on the show by Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford)
• 2 Tickets to the season finale taping of NBC’s The Voice
• 64GB iPad 2 with 3G personally donated by Yoko Ono with a signed postcard
• 2 VIP tickets to any taping of Chelsea Lately and two guest gift bags
• Signed limited edition Wilco poster
• 3 day pass to Dave Matthews Band Caravan in Atlantic City
• 2 tickets to any Major Lazer show in North America, meet and greet and a one-a-kind drawing of you and the Major Lazer cast of characters (in round two)
• Signed DJ Hero turntable by Eminem
• And even more one-of-a-kind items and experiences from Tim McGraw, Bon Iver, Lonely Island, MLB, the Los Angeles Lakers, OneRepublic, EA Games, the NFL, Jack Johnson, Robyn, and many many more!
The auction was initiated by Joplin native Tyler Childs, a Los Angeles-based music manager who hopes to celebrate the resilient spirit of his hometown and do his part to help them rebuild, despite being miles away from the devastation. Childs enlisted the help of his friends in the music and entertainment business to help him secure big ticket items for the auction.
“Like so many people, I was stunned by the footage I saw,” says Childs. “It broke my heart to see the familiar places of my childhood left in ruins, but I knew just sitting around being sad wasn’t going to help anyone. I’m incredibly thankful to have a support system in Los Angeles that can help me give back to a place that gave so much to me. Friends and colleagues like Kevin Weaver, Caitlin Youngs, Sarah Smith and Malia Hall played a major role in helping to secure incredible experiences and items for everyone to bid on. Without people like them, this auction would not have been possible. Now go bid on something!”
For more information on the United Way of Southwest Missouri and Southeast Kansas, please visit their website at http://uwswmo.org.
Vision Statement of the United Way of Southwest Missouri
The United Way of Southwest Missouri will be the region’s recognized leader in human care fund raising and in identifying and seeking solutions to meet the human service needs of the area. We will be the most effective distributor of resources and a customer (contributor, agency, recipient and volunteer) driven United Way.