New report says almost 70 percent of people will give less this holiday season and so supporters are getting creative with their giving
As the economy continues to squeeze donors, a recent report conducted by Campbell Rinker showed disturbing results—that nearly 7 in 10 Americans say they will give more sparingly to charities in the coming months. As a result, people are looking for other ways to support their favorite causes this holiday giving season. Here are five ways people can “give without giving”:
- Shop online. GoodShop.com works with more than 2,500 retailers (including Amazon, Gap, Target, Staples and Macy’s) to give a percentage of almost every purchase back to the shopper’s favorite charity. In addition, GoodShop lists more than 100,000 coupons so that shoppers can save money and do good at the same time! GoodShop currently works with more than 102,000 charities and schools. We can provide you with a list in your area. See how it works here!
- Search the Internet: GoodSearch.com donates about a penny per search to the charity the user designates. It’s powered by Yahoo so users get great search results! Together with GoodShop, GoodSearch has raised more than $8 million for charity! See how it works here!
- Redeem credit card points. Ask members to turn their unused credit card points into a charitable donation to your cause. Both American Express and Citi Card offer this program.
- Volunteer: There are a handful of companies that match volunteer hours with funds. For example, Microsoft will match volunteer time at $17 an hour through its Volunteer Time Matching program. Boeing, Exxon, Intel, Chevron, and Bank of America have similar programs.
- Dine out: GoodDining.com works with more than 10,000 restaurants across the country and each time you dine, up to 6% of what you spend is donated to your favorite charity. We can provide you a list of restaurants in your area.
- Recycle your old electronics: Send your electronics to Gazelle.com and cash generated from that will be donated to charity.
About GoodSearch-Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, GoodSearch empowers people to change the world through simple everyday actions that raise money for causes people care most about. Launched in 2005, the service currently includes GoodSearch, a Yahoo-powered search engine and GoodShop, an online shopping and coupon portal which works with more than 2,500 top merchants including jcpenny, Lands’ End, Staples, and HP, and now GoodDining. To date, GoodSearch has donated more than $8 million to over 102,000 charities and schools designated by its users.
This article is excerpted from the Holiday Gift Guide for 2011 . Be sure and check it out and read other articles about the holidays. It’s also great to add to your online shopping experience! While you’re at it be sure to check out the great giftware found at 7eStudio and Mumbani